Re: what to take off the root partition

On Friday December 21 2007 14:38:22 Alex Samad wrote:
[snip]

> My only unfortunate situation is that I have only 10G for /,
> and I am starting to feel the pinch.  It has lasted me for 8
> years

Impressive.  Have you run /# apt-get clean/?  That should free up
lots of space.

> My main reason for splitting is space, all my subgroupings
> (/home/alex, /home/X?) allow that user to have all their space,
> fill it up and not have to worry I am not going to have any
> space left for incoming mail.  Specially with multimedia
> editing, 1-2G hear and another copy their and one or 2 more
> copies and you can take up a lot of space.

I limited / (incluing /var) and /home to 18GB each.  Then I
created /data and mounted the remainder of hda (specifically,
hda4) as /data/01.  Other disks I've purchased have then been
mounted as /data/02 and /data/03.

That's where I put music and video files.

Of course, your circumstances may vary.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA  USA

"As the night fall does not come at once, neither does
oppression.  It is in such twilight that we must all be aware of
change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting
victims of the darkness."
Justice William O. Douglas