Re: How to keep a locally compiled *.deb up to date?

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 01:16:55AM -0800, stevem wrote:

> Excuse me if I hijack this thread but I've long wondered about a variation
> of this question:  If I roll my own kernel why isn't the resulting .deb
> dependent on it's linux-source package?  I couldn't find a suitable
> option to make-kpkg so I hacked a cron job to compare the timestamps of
> the source dir and source tarball.  Highly inelegant.

I don't think you would want to have anything stronger than a
"suggests" dependency. Consider the situation where you are compiling
a kernel for a low-spec machine such as a router, but you are doing it
on your higher powered workstation and then copying over the deb. You
wouldn't want or need an entire kernel tree on your target machine in
this case.

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to