Re: How to keep a locally compiled *.deb up to date?

On Thursday 20 December 2007, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Johannes Graumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any mechanism to be notified by aptitude or the likes if a
> > source package downloaded with 'apt-get source' has been upgraded by
> > the maintainer and needs rebuilding?

Excuse me if I hijack this thread but I've long wondered about a variation
of this question:  If I roll my own kernel why isn't the resulting .deb
dependent on it's linux-source package?  I couldn't find a suitable
option to make-kpkg so I hacked a cron job to compare the timestamps of
the source dir and source tarball.  Highly inelegant.

This is surely the most common example of Hugo's dilemma.  Or am I missing
something obvious here?

thanks,
stevem