Raid 1 action on failed disk?

I am running a Debian 3.1 (Sarge) server with Raid 1 mirroring on the disk drive.

Recently, one of the disks failed. The system sent root a proper e-mail notification of the failure. Unfortunately,
the system seemed to continue to try to use the disk and operations slowed to the point that the only thing I could
do was to power the system down and physically remove the bad drive. I had thought to check the mdadm status
and remove the failed drive from the array by command.

My question is shouldn't the Raid system have removed the drive for me after it had failed? Why was the system still
trying to do operations on it after noticing the failure? Was (is) there something wrong with my raid configuration?

Thanks

Stuart