[Fwd: Re: apt-file]

Resending due to errors:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: apt-file
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:44:33 +1030
From: Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net>
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.user

Wu-Kung Sun wrote, on 2007-12-02 07:15:
On Dec 1, 2007 2:21 PM, Tom Allison <tom@tacocat.net> wrote:
how do you use apt-file?

I'm trying to use 'apt-file find pg_resetxlog' and it returns nothing

but this fails to:
which psql --> /usr/bin/psql

apt-file find psql  --> nothing

Well, I know something put that file there because I installed it using aptitude.

I *really* need to find that file, pg_resetxlog.

First:
apt-file update
Then:
apt-file search (filename)

If you're just trying to find a file on your system, use locate.

apt-file update

tried to download some huge Contents.gz files, so I purged apt-file. If
diffs were produced of Contents.gz files so that subsequent "apt-file
update" runs were relatively brief, it would be ok, but downloading huge
Contents.gz files every time one runs "apt-file update" seems
inefficient and is more than what my internet connection can stand.

To find file names in standard Debian packages, one can do a search on
packages.debian.org.

What I'd like to be able to do is specify some non-standard repositories
(eg www.debian-multimedia.org), and have apt-file download the
Contents.gz files for those, and use packages.debian.org to search for
files in standard Debian packages (main/contrib/non-free).

Filed as bug #456894.

Arthur.

Arthur.