Re: usb mouse problems: etch/gnome/metacity

On 18 Dec 2007, at 20:53, cs wrote:

I've not managed to define precisely when I get borrows but I'm noticing the following symptoms and was wondering if some kind soul would help me
debug what's going on in order to get to a solution? Thanks, Michael

set-up: etch, gnome (eg gnome-core 2.14.3.6), metacity 2.14.5-4 and
Dell/Logitech USB optical mouse (seems to work fine in WinXP), with
nVidia graphics card/TwinView and 2 monitors (diff resolutions)

symptoms (occasional and not sure how to repeat)

a) double clicking won't select anything
b) in evolution, clicking on a new message or folder has no effect
c) the cursor (arrowhead) disappears - if I set prefs to show cursor by
depressing 'CNTL' I get the moving rectangles but there's no cursor
there)
d) focus doesn't move to new window (as it should and usually does)

I think the following is also a symptom but not 100% sure:
e) doing ALT-TAB to move between windows does nothing on very first
ALT-TAB

Any thoughts???
Or am I just going mad, slowly??

Thanks, M

and about .5 hour later my USB keyboard is unresposive too - I could maximize/restore windows using the mouse but 5 mins later and although the cursor will move nothing else is happening (can't go to cntl-alt-F1 and mouse won't resize windows or change focus)

logging in from another machine doesn't show up any errors in syslog and there's no excessive load and the USB mouse/keyboard are still listed under lsusb:

mkb@amd64:/var/log$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c00c Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:0111 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

(Yes I perhaps should have said it's an AMD 64bit chip?)

So, any thoughts before I reboot (or for next time it ends up in this state)???

Thanks, MIchael