Re: OT: iPod Touch and Linux?

Magnus Therning wrote:

> My wife won an iPod Touch on a raffle last Friday.  After playing with
> it for a while I've almost given up on the idea of keeping it.  A lot of
>  surfing and experimenting later I've found the following:
>
> * libgpod (which is used by both gtkpod and amarok) in Debian Sid only
> has read-only support for the iPod Touch (requires a jailbreak and
> installing SSH, which I've done).  That seems to mean that iTunes is the
> only way of syncing music and audiocasts onto it.  Ouch.
>
> * It doesn't have a flash decoder.  All it offers is a H.264 decoder.
> This means that most videos on the web can't be watched.  I've failed to
> find details on how to convert flash (and other format) videos to
> something that the iPod Touch could play.  So even if I find a way of
> sticking videos on it I still can't play them :(
>
> Does anyone have any pointers on these issues.  Or is the only option
> left to me to put it for sale on ebay and buy a Nokia N800 for the money?

Personally, I would sell it and buy a N800.

I don't know much about the Touch, never having owned an iPod, but I can
tell you that several sites offer a flv(Flash) to * service. vixy.net is
one. You can also use mencoder to transcode the flv to some other
format[1].

 1. http://www.linux.com/feature/56642