Re: how to get debian.org to accept my yahoo.com email

On 12/15/2007 10:01 PM, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 02:35:53PM -0600, Michael Shuler wrote:
>> On 12/08/2007 02:05 PM, Kevin Mark wrote:
>>> Ask your Mail/DNS-Administrator to correct HELO and DNS MX settings
>> Would this be yourself?  The relevant bits:

>> It appears that you are running your own mail server named 'horacrux' -
>> my own mail servers would reject any messages from 'horacrux' as well
>> because this is not a resolvable hostname:
>>
>> $ host horacrux
>> Host horacrux not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>>
>> You need to properly configure your mail server to HELO as a valid host
>> as a first step in delivering mail.
>>

> Please post this to the list, otherwise it wont get seem.
> I am subscribed to many mailing lists. I can send and recieve from all
> but debian.org lists. Well debian.org was ok until the last few months.

Done  ;)

> This is how things go:
>
> a) mutt(sending)->exim->verizon/yahoo->ML server
> b) ML server->verizon/yahoo->exim->mutt(reading)
>
> Process a for debian now does not work but Process b still does.
>
> So what happends now is this:
>
> mutt(sending)->exim->verizon/yahoo->debian.org rejects mail
>
> but debian.org does not accept verizon/yahoo mail,
> verizon/yahoo notes the response and
> forwards the response back to my local server(horacrux) like this:
>
> debian.org reject is sent back->verizon/yahoo->exim->mutt(reading)
>
> At least that is what I understand.

Have you updated your exim configuration to send as a valid DNS
resolvable host name, as well as set up DNS for that host name?  I think
that is your problem, here.

I have no problems sending email from quite a few hosts, using a similar
path as you describe, but I have configured the local MTA on each box to
send as valid DNS resolvable names:

mshuler@kokopelli:~$ sudo grep -r kokopelli /etc/exim4/
/etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf:dc_readhost='kokopelli.pbandjelly.org'
/etc/exim4/email-addresses:mshuler@kokopelli.pbandjelly.org:
michael@pbandjelly.org

mshuler@kokopelli:~$ host kokopelli.pbandjelly.org
kokopelli.pbandjelly.org is an alias for kokopelli.homeunix.org.
kokopelli.homeunix.org has address 10.9.109.79

The above is my laptop.  Hope that helps!

--
Kind Regards,
Michael