Re: How Linux becomes Windows

On Thursday 13 December 2007, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:27:30PM +0100, Dirk wrote:
> > I won't start commenting on all this HAL, udev and similar
> > bullshit.
> >
> > But this error message when I used modconf: "update-modules
> > deprecated"
> >
> > Is another sign that people here are trying to emulate even the bad
> > sides of Windows.
> >
> > *I* (ME!) wan't to have fucking control over my modules back you
> > frickin' desktop loving auto-this, auto-that assholes!!!!
>
> Try OpenBSD.  No modules to worry about, no auto-anything, dmesg
> shows you everything you have and where it is.  Simple.  Only
> downsides:  if you need a module for some piece of closed-source
> hardware; package management is quite as simple as with aptitude; no
> volume-management like LVM or easy software-raid; no flash-enabled
> browser.
>
> I agree that linux has become a cliky-pointy-lindows thingy unless
> you fight it.  I don't do CUPS, I don't do DTE.  I use lpr, CLI,
> startx, icewm.  To mount a USB stick I have an entry in fstab for
> /dev/sdc1.  If udev were to act up, I'd use LABLE=stick1: this is the
> fight-it part.

Personally, I find a lot of these things let me focus on doing the work
I need to do as opposed to having to spend time thinking about how I'm
going to do something or making sure I can do something.  Different
methods work for different people.  It's cliche, but true.  Some people
think better with a visual interface.  It's just a different learning
or processing style.

What I like about Linux is that I have the choice.  When I'm
programming, I use a simple editor and am constantly using the CLI.
When I'm writing film scripts, I need as intuitive and visual an
interface as possible.  Both use different parts of the brain.

Hal