Re: How Linux becomes Windows

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:27:30PM +0100, Dirk wrote:
> I won't start commenting on all this HAL, udev and similar bullshit.
>
> But this error message when I used modconf: "update-modules deprecated"
>
> Is another sign that people here are trying to emulate even the bad
> sides of Windows.
>
> *I* (ME!) wan't to have fucking control over my modules back you
> frickin' desktop loving auto-this, auto-that assholes!!!!

Try OpenBSD.  No modules to worry about, no auto-anything, dmesg shows
you everything you have and where it is.  Simple.  Only downsides:  if
you need a module for some piece of closed-source hardware; package
management is quite as simple as with aptitude; no volume-management
like LVM or easy software-raid; no flash-enabled browser.

I agree that linux has become a cliky-pointy-lindows thingy unless you
fight it.  I don't do CUPS, I don't do DTE.  I use lpr, CLI, startx,
icewm.  To mount a USB stick I have an entry in fstab for /dev/sdc1.  If
udev were to act up, I'd use LABLE=stick1: this is the fight-it part.

Doug.