Fwd: Installing Etch and upgrading or Lenny directly

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:41:37 -0800
Subject: Re: Installing Etch and upgrading or Lenny directly
To: debian-users@lists.debian.org

On 12/10/07, Guillermo Garron <guillermo.fedora@gmail.com> wrote:

> After almost a year with Etch, I want to go to Lenny, I am going to
> reinstall my Debian (other reasons), the question is:

Why not simply adjust your sources list to reflect lenny (or testing) and do

# aptitude update
# aptitude dist-upgrade

I did that  - about  6 months ago, back then I had actually ran etch
(stable) for about 2 months or so.

> (I know it is more bandwidth installing etch and then go to lenny, but
> I am talking about the Debian itself)

If your disk is wiped, start from the latest available lenny disks (or
the jigdo weekly build) as a base, then update & dist-upgrade to get
the "latest" lenny.

If you already have debian on the hard drive, then you shouldn't need
to "reinstall" anyihing to get to lenny, just update your sources.list
and do the update && dist-upgrade.

> etch vs stable

If you specify "etch" - you get to keep on using "etch". Eventually,
"lenny" will become stable, so when that happens, you get to keep
running "etch". You may not want to do that.

If you specify "stable" you will always be running the stable du jour
(or is it "du an?" :) and when Lenny becomes stable, you'll be running
lenny.

> lenny vs testing

Same thing. If you run "lenny" you will reach a point when lenny
becomes stable, and you will always be running lenny - so at some
point, little to no updates, other than security/bugfixes.