Re: Using exim as SMTP-AUTH client

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:24:14 +0000 (UTC)
Felix Karpfen <felixk@webone.com.au> wrote:

> I have located the following relevant info in
>
> "/usr/share/doc/exim4-config/README.Debian.gz":
>
>    If you want to set up exim as SMTP AUTH client for delivery to your
>    internet access provider's smarthost put the name of the server, your
>    login and password in /etc/exim4/passwd.client. See the man page for
>    exim4-config_files(5) for more information about the required format.
>
> This works well for emails sent via my ISP.  But I also have a "gmail"
> account (as a fallback - in case my ISP bombs out).
>
> _My_ ISP does not require SMTP-AUTH; the ISP used by one of my regular
> correspondents will not accept emails that do not have it.  GMail offers
> relevant info on using "GMail + procmail"; nothing on using "GMail +
> exim4".
>
> My question is:
>
> Are there any  problems with having more than one entry in my
> "etc/exim4/passwd.client" file?

In priciple, no, but there may be gotchas having to do with DNS and
reverse DNS lookups.  See the 'passwd.client' section of 'man
exim4-config_files'; read the manpage, and see this thread for an
account of some trouble I once had using exim with Gmail:

[That problem has been fixed, but that might give you a flavor of the
sort of trouble possible.]

> Felix Karpfen

Celejar