Re: Latest kernel security update wont boot

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 02:36:42PM -0500, Marc Auslander wrote:

>> Marc Auslander <marcslists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am running etch on a Dell with ide drives, using LILO
>>>
>>> I just used aptitude to install the latest security update to the
>>> 2.6.18 kernel, 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch5
>>>
>>> The install produced a message about the fact that it was updating the
>>> running kernel and I should reboot right away - which I did.
>>>
>>> Reboot failed with kernel panic which was something like:
>>>
>>> VFS - cannot open root device "302" or block 302 not found (this is
>>> approximate).
>
> Another fact - initrd.img is tiny.  So something didn't get built.

missing some modules in initrd? try rebuilding it and see what
happens. look at mkinitrd or mkinitramfs (I don't remember which comes
with etch).

the command will be something like

mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-2.6.18-version-arch -k 2.6.18-version-arch

be sure to move the other one aside first. and since you're using
lilo, make sure you aer aware of what your symlinks are and so forth.