Re: How to start KDE from a console prompt?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 10:31:40PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> startx uses ~/.xinitrc to start up the X session. In case it doesn't
>> exist, then debian has some default stuff that starts whatever the
>> default window manager is. Look at `update-alternatives --config
>> x-window-manager` to set a different window manager as the default.
>> Or, write your own .xinitrc (this is what I do) to start up a session
>> the way you want the simplest is to use a one line .xinitrc with
>>
>> exec /usr/bin/startkde
>>

> I just put the bare "startkde" in my ~/.xinitrc. Of course, the method I
> use assumes I'm not doing other things in that file (which I'm not, other
> than switching between WMs via commented-out lines, as below).
>
> My ~.xinitrc file looks something like this:
>
> westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> cat .xinitrc
> #icewm
> #xterm
> #wmaker
> startkde
> #xfce
> #gnome-session

I always stick a

x-terminal-emulator at the end of that file so that if the WM bombs
for some reason, I'll get an xterm and at least know that X is
working...

also, I use `exec /path/to/WM` so that when the WM does work, it will
replace the current process so that upon exiting that xterm won't be
and keep the X session up. I think that's how it works