Re: How to start KDE from a console prompt?

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
startx uses ~/.xinitrc to start up the X session. In case it doesn't
exist, then debian has some default stuff that starts whatever the
default window manager is. Look at `update-alternatives --config
x-window-manager` to set a different window manager as the default.
Or, write your own .xinitrc (this is what I do) to start up a session
the way you want the simplest is to use a one line .xinitrc with

exec /usr/bin/startkde

I just put the bare "startkde" in my ~/.xinitrc. Of course, the method I use assumes I'm not doing other things in that file (which I'm not, other than switching between WMs via commented-out lines, as below).

My ~.xinitrc file looks something like this:

westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> cat .xinitrc
#icewm
#xterm
#wmaker