Replacing HD with Flash IDE drive

Hey guys,

I have an old PowerBook G4 500MHz running beautifully with debian. Everything is perfect except for the noisy hard drive in this machine. It is unbearable when trying to work in the library or someplace quite (sounds like when you're sitting in a plane, on a seat right next to the engine).

Anyways, flash based IDE drive would be the solution I am guessing. I am not really concerned with the size as I am running a fairly minimal debian system. So about 4G would be perfect.

So anybody has any experiences with this on Debian? Does the Flash HD simply look like an IDE drive in debian?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
Amit