Re: volume mgmt w/o gnome

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 21:54:13 -0700, Dave Thayer wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 06:42:09PM -0500, Mark Grieveson wrote:
>> Hello.  I use fluxbox most of the time.  But, when I plug in my hp315
>> photosmart camera, I rely upon gnome to find it, and automagically
>> mount it for me.  Is it possible to completely remove gnome, and just
>> mount this camera (or other USB storage devices) myself?  Or, and even
>> better, find a utility that, sans gnome, can automagically mount the
>> camera itself?
>
> Funny you should mention this, I've been working on this problem
> myself lately. As a fluxboxer, I have been somewhat envious with the
> ease with which the gnome/kde folk are able to use USB MSDs.
>
> For some time my approach was to . . . I finally got fed up with this and
> came up with the following solution. . .

Thank you Dave for insightful instructions.

So far I haven't notice any one mentioning pmount yet, which is what I
believe the right tool to use without rolling up you sleeves and get your
hands dirty.

This is the note that I collected,

Automounting
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/disk/pen/pen03-Automounting/index.html

All else notes on pmount
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/search?P=pmount&DEFAULTOP=and&DB=default&FMT=query&xDB=default&xFILTERS=--A

I haven't tried it yet, since I'm a command line guy, and the
following command line has not bothered me yet:

 sudo mount -o umask=113,dmask=002,uid=tong,gid=tong /dev/disk/by-id/usb-PENTAX_OptioT10-part1 /mnt/camera

See, no udev rules fiddling at all.

HTH

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)