Re: OT: clicky keyboards

On Dec 6, 2007, at 2:08 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

Totally OT, except it's on my debian box ;)

If you need that amazingly insightful gift for someone (yourself?)
this year, check out www.clickykeyboards.com for real IBM
keyboards. Mine just arrived and I'm in heaven.

My clicky board is hooked up downstairs on the desktop machine, and it's a real find -- a real IBM that has a two-button mouse and a "nubby" in the middle of the keyboard, just like their laptops. No need to reach for a mouse at all. I love that thing.

Right at the moment, I'm on the MacBook -- my second favorite keyboard.

At work, they use IBM's and the external keyboard isn't "clicky" but it's about as close as you can get on a new keyboard these days...

I'm a happy typist.

I never got used to "squishy" keyboards, I originally learned to type on an IBM Selectric typewriter, and I make a lot more mistakes on keyboards that have no audible or tactile feedback... or aren't "flat" enough (like the MacBook) to remind me of my original Tandy Color Computer Model I.

The keyboard I dislike the most are the newer cheap Sun Type V keyboards that came with "regular" ball mice. Those things stink.

Older ones (which were "squishy" I will admit) were much better built -- the ones with the optical mouse, long before optical mice were popular... but they had to be used on the special little mousepad with the lines embedded in it... I could get by on those.

:-)

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com