Re: Preferred Backup Method?

Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Thu December 6 2007, David Brodbeck wrote:
The installer acts as a weed-eater: it weeds out users who don't read
the docs.  If you don't read, the partioner will kill you.
At least it doesn't require a pocket calculator anymore. When I first installed it you had to manually calculate cylinder boundaries!

OpenBSD is fun, secure, and interesting, but they don't make a secret of being newbie-hostile

I don't know about newbie hostile, but I would say it is definitely a UNIX guru environment.. just trying to download was a frustrating 30 minutes. there was no "*.iso" like 99.999% of the other distros use. Then it took me a while to figure out if it was even going to install/run an X environment. Don't even ask about a LiveCD..:)
 and I've installed UNIX from 36 floppy disks!

I can't say anything about OBSD as a back-up, but as a firewall it certainly kicks ass! One version or another has been running under my desk for a few years' now, just bare bones, no X, and with a pf rule-set config file guarding my LAN and it just purrs along - low maintenance de luxe! And resilient, despite power outages and my own cock ups, it just bounces back. I'm looking to upgrade soon and will probably buy the CD set to support the team. Small price to pay for rock solid network security and stability.