Re: rsync to clone disk - Can it work? grub-install error

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:43:16AM -0500, chloe K wrote:

> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote: On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 02:56:57PM -0500, chloe K wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I install etch in hda
> > then I add the hdc which have same partition but not same size in hda
> >
> > /dev/hda1 /boot
> > /dev/hda2 /swap
> > /dev/hda3 /
> >
> > i use rsync to copy data from hda to hdc
> >
> > I use fedora5 boot disk to boot.
> > mount /boot and / and chroot to /
>
> did you mount /boot within the chroot?

hmmm... what about the rest of the file system?  Is / all on one
partition? What are the permissions on /tmp? and does /bin exist at
this point?

> Yes, I did
>

> > but I got error to grub-install /dev/hda
> >
> > You shouldn't call /sbin/grub-install. Please call /usr/sbin/grub-install instead!
> > tempnam: No such file or directory
> > /usr/sbin/grub-install: line 394: $log_file: ambigous redirect
>
> what actual command did you enter?
>

> grub-install /dev/hda

I looked at the code and the issue is $log_file, which gets set early
on but could be changed in a number of circumstances. But they all
center around the use of /tmp and /bin/tempfile. I think somehow
you're getting a null $log_file and thus causing this ambiguous
redirect.

I'm not sh pro by any stretch, so ymmv.