Re: about tar backup

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 03:08:13AM -0800, Nevruz Mesut Sahin wrote:
> tear friends I want to get  all my directories backup by tar
> my directories  :   /www/abc/domains/
> /www/abc/domains/there_so_many_files
> so I want to get all backup under /www  then I tried
> tar cvf /www/       (but does not work  gives error)
> tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
> Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
> what is my mistake please tell me

You need to give two arguments to tar cvf: the name of the archive,
and the name of the directory you want to backup. I do not quite
understand what you are trying to accomplish, but this will backup the
my_data directory to my_backup.tar:

tar cvf my_backup.tar my_data/

Ansgar Esztermann
Researcher & Sysadmin