Re: debian 4.0 r0 installation - x-windows starts but gets stuck in black in white screen

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:53:53AM -0800, 2006me wrote:
> Hi, I have the following issue. When I start my recent debian
> installation (4.0 r0) everything work fine except when it comes to
> start the x-window. It starts up but gets stuck in a black and white
> screen with the mouse pointer as a X. right away.

well. this is good. It means X is working.

> Nothing else
> happens. Gnome will not come up even if you wait a while (say 20
> min).

have you installed Gnome? How do you start your X session: from a
console prompt with 'startx' or from gdm|xdm|kdm?

> I don't really
> know where to start looking for error messages.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log, but X is working so that won't say much.
maybe ~/.xsession-errors but I bet that's empty.

> It would be a great help if you could point me to where I should
> continue the search my x-window issues. So I can fix my own box.

I'm guessing you don't actually have a window manager or desktop
environment installed.