debian 4.0 r0 installation - x-windows starts but gets stuck in black in white screen

Hi, I have the following issue. When I start my recent debian
installation (4.0 r0) everything work fine except when it comes to
start the x-window. It starts up but gets stuck in a black and white
screen with the mouse pointer as a X. right away. Nothing else
happens. Gnome will not come up even if you wait a while (say 20
min).  I don't really
know where to start looking for error messages.

It would be a great help if you could point me to where I should
continue the search my x-window issues. So I can fix my own box.
Thanks.

Michael