Re: FreeAgent USB HDD

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 06:05:24PM +0000, andy wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Yesterday, I bought a 500GB Seagate FreeAgent (external) USB hard drive.
> I plugged it in, downloaded the necessary ntfs-3g driver and all was
> fine. Today I plug it in and my Lenny system can't find it at all. There
> is nothing loaded on media and it seems that as far as my system is
> concerned, it has ceased to exist.

It depends: I'm using a similar drive. These drives are very prone to
turn themselves off into power saving mode or similar / lose
interrupts. At this point they remount read only / with directories
with no permissions.

A colleague used Google to find that the problem may be with SCSI
emulation - if you echo 1 > allow_restart in
/sys/block/sd*/device/scsi_disk:<numbers> the problem may go away.

Known problem :(

Andy