Re: getaddrinfo broken on amd64 etch system

[Resending (after joining whitelist) since original reply didn't show up
after 2 days. Apologies if this *does* appear twice.]

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Bill Kelly wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This is my first post here, so I hope I'm following the protocols
> correctly.
>
> I've done a netinstall of etch 4.0r1 with amd64 architecture on both a
> vmware system, and a real AMD Opteron system.  (glibc version
> 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2)
>
> On both systems, getaddrinfo() seems to fail to do a reverse lookup
> from an IP address to the canonical hostname.  It doesn't return an
> error code, it just returns the original IP address that was passed
> in.  (Note, the `host` program, from the command line, works fine.)

Forgive me if I am missing something obvious, but don't you want
getnameinfo() for that purpose? As I understand it (and despite the
comment about replacing getipnodebyaddr() at the top of its manpage),
getaddrinfo() is not supposed to perform reverse lookups.

As near as I can tell, it was a bug that that behavior ever worked.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall           :     Advertising may be described as the science of
ahall@vitaphone.net  :     arresting human intelligence long enough to