no sound through HDMI

Hello,

I have posted on the alsa-user mailling list two days ago with no
response, so I thought I would see if the Debian community can help me
out.

I have been trying for the last week to get sound through my HDMI port with no
success.  I have a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2579
with a Realtek ALC889A audio CODEC.  I am running Debian Lenny on a 2.6.18
kernel.  Originally I was using the ALSA drivers included with the kernel and
the Debian packaged ALSA libraries and utilities.  With that configuration I
was able to use the analogue output.  The S/PDIF connector was listed by
aplay, but not the HDMI audio.

I downloaded the ALSA drivers from the Realtek website
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3
and configured and installed the drivers while still using the Debian
libraries and utilities.  I am now able to see the HDMI device listed:

chris@mythbox:~$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC882 Analog [ALC882 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC882 Digital [ALC882 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 0: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I have tried to test the sound

chris@mythbox:/usr/share/sounds/alsa$ aplay -D plughw:1,0 test.wav
Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo

but there is no sound from the TV speakers.

The driver being used is snd-hda-intel and it is being loaded by udev.  I
would appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thanks.

--
Take care, eh.
Chris