Re: Font size under X

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 14:25:31 +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> I am facing a peculiar problem. Currently am running debian unstable.
> The fonts under X are too small.

What do you mean by that? Did you check the absolute sizes with a ruler?
One "point" should correspond to 1/72 of an inch; a 12pt font, for
example, should have a height of 1/6 of an inch (4.2 mm) on your screen.

>                                  I can get around this problem by
> playing with the dpi setting under gnome, but I feel that is not the
> correct way of doing it.

I would simply use the correct DPI setting, calculated from the width
and height of your screen and the number of pixels in each direction.
You can also specify the dimensions of your screen explicitly in the
Monitor Section of your xorg.conf (Option "DisplaySize"). This should
override incorrect settings if X gets the wrong idea from DDC-probing
the monitor.

It might furthermore be necessary to put

Xft.dpi: 96

into your ~/.Xresources to ensure consistent font sizes for all
applications. (Replace "96" with the correct DPI value for your screen.)

> What surprises me is that of the 4 machines I am using (all debian sid),
> only two exhibit this problem. Both of those machines have a CRT monitor
> while the other two have an LCD monitor.

Compare the output of

xdpyinfo | grep resolution
xrdb -query | grep Xft

on the different machines.