Font size under X

I am facing a peculiar problem. Currently am running debian unstable.
The fonts under X are too small. I can get around this problem by
playing with the dpi setting under gnome, but I feel that is not the
correct way of doing it.

What surprises me is that of the 4 machines I am using (all debian sid),
only two exhibit this problem. Both of those machines have a CRT monitor
while the other two have an LCD monitor.

Searched for any similar bug reports and found none. Does anyone have
any pointers to this problem?

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Landru! Guide us!
		-- A Beta 3-oid, "The Return of the Archons", stardate 3157.4