How to get colors and spinners in boot messages?

OK, here goes.  I would really like to be able to modify my bootup
messages to have some color, similar to what a Knoppix boot does.  Maybe
not as garish, something to my taste.

I've looked at bootsplashes, but they tend to be bulky and usually ugly
in execution.  The bootsplash package requires a kernel patch and
initrd, and I'm limited to initramfs by certain other restrictions.

So: How do I modify boot console to add color and stuff?

Regards,
Klein