Re: How does GMail know I use Firebug extension in Iceweasel?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 06:56:23AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> >On 11/28/07 18:17, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> >>Recently gmail has begun displaying the following notice when I login to
> >>its web interface:
> >>
> >>"Firebug is known to make Gmail slow unless it is configured correctly."
> >>
> >>It offers a couple of option to disable/configure it. However what I
> >>find disturbing is how gmail 'knows' what extensions I have installed on
> >>my machine. Is there a bug in iceweasel/firefox that leaks out some
> >>information on extensions to the remote servers?
> >
> >JavaScript?
>
> I do use the javascript version gmail instead of the plain html one.
> However it is a surprise to me that remote sites are able to figure out
> what extensions I have installed using javascript. Does that not have
> privacy implications? Disabling javascript renders most sites pretty
> useless. I have played around with noscript for a couple of months
> before turning it off.

AIUI, enabling JavaScript enables the remote site to run javascript on
your box.  It doesn't do any sort of audit of what it will run.  So I
would assume tht it can do whatever javascript is capable of.

Can javascript read my .ssh directory and grab my id_rsa or id_dsa?

Doug.