Re: Problems booting AMD64 Dual Core

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 09:24:49PM +0000, I.E.Broadbent wrote:
> I built two boxes last week...
> both (almost) identical....
> CPU - Both AMD Socket-AM2 64bit Dual Core (one 4300 and one 4600)
> Memory - both identical - 4 x 1gig modules per motherboard
> Motherboard - both identical - Gigabyte S-Series M61P-S3
> Both using onboard Network and Graphics
>

> One machine works fine.... no problems.... in fact superb fast and sweet
> as a nut.
>
> The other ... is a dog!
> It wont output any display at all when all 4 memory slots are populated,
> and when using only 1,2, or 3 it 'stutters' along working for about 40
> seconds then locking up for 10 accepting no input and producing no
> output.
>
> I have exchanged the motherboard for another, making no difference
> Have upgraded the BIOS to version'f' - no improvement
> Have changed the power-supply (and enlarged) to ensure it's not a
> voltage issue.
>
> I even used different memory modules to see if it made a difference, ..
> but it didn't.
>
> The only thing I haven't changed is the CPU... but the supplier is
> reluctant to swap it out .. claiming that if it is working at all (even
> crippled) then it wont be the CPU at fault.    My claim is that it is
> the ONLY thing left, and if the dual-core addressing has an error then
> it might explain the 'stuttering' and the failure to boot when connected
> to 4 modules.

My first guess would be memory but you've changed that; no guarantee
that the new stuff is OK.  Try pulling the memory from the board that
works great.  Try just using one stick, then two, then four.

Compare the dmesg and /var/log/syslog from each box.  Try a serial
console and the first thing you do on boot is cat /var/log/syslog.  This
way you can capture it before the box crashes.

Swap drives between the systems.

Last (since you have to disturb the heat-sink grease), swap the CPUs
from one to the other MB.

Doug.