Re: [OT] LaTeX

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 11:12:38AM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:

> Hello DU
>
> I'd like to begin writing my coursework for college in LaTeX, but I've
> no clue where to start. I began by installing the vim-latexsuite
> package, but that didn't seem to really work too well (The help pages
> are both missing), and I have no clue where to start to learn LaTeX.
>
> Any point in the right direction would really help!
>
> Also, for the Debian related question; What package would people out
> there recommend for compiling and viewing LaTeX?

I found Texmaker a wonderful tool when I first started on latex. In fact
I still use texmaker when I am feeling lazy.  (And/or Kile, almost
identical, but uses some KDE stuff and so loads more slowly first time).
The Latex guide in the help menu is a great beginner's resource and the
easy tools for most common latex markup are a quick way to get familiar
with the structure of Latex.  You can also compile and view either dvi
ps of pdf from inside the editor.  Vim Latexsuite does these things too,
but you need some vim skills to enjoy it.

--
richard