dmcrypt on an existing partition (firewire external disk)

I have a big disk that I cannot backup due to space constraints and want
to encrypt it.  It is an ext3 external WD MyBook drive.  I keep movies
music and backups on there so its nothing I cannot lose, but I would
hate to spend time ripping all my CDs and DVDs again.

I run Debian Etch on the laptop it is attached to and I mount the MyBook
manually, not relying on automounting.

Is it as "simple" as running the following:

cryptsetup create  root /dev/sda1 -v -y -c aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 -h sha1 -s 128

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/mapper/root bs=512 skip=0 seek=0.

Do I have all the tools I need in Etch?  I installed Etch with encrypted LVM partition option, so
I assume I have all I need?

--andrew

--
GnuPG Key ID: ECB18ABA
Fingerprint:  FDF3 91FC F5BC 1164 E217  315E 337E 219B ECB1 8ABA