Re: console login : number of access failures

daniele pendenza wrote:
Hi lists,

But what about the root user ? That number is "correct" unless no one tried to do "su logins" (login using the command su). Do you think that su-logins must be considered as "general logins" and then the super user must know how many unsuccessful "su-logins" took place ? And what about the date and time of the last root login ? :-) Well, as a solution one could forbid the "su-login" but sometimes that command can be useful.

If you have root access or belong in the 'adm' group, you can peek into the /var/log/auth.log which contains all the attempts made to get into the system (both successful and failed)

2 - by default whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a non root user the screen is cleaned ... whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a root user the screen is not cleaned - and maybe a non root user can see what the root did before ! Why did they choose this behavior ??

Check out the files .bash_logout in the respective home directories

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi