Re: Etch mysql won't start (resolved)

On Mon, November 26, 2007 1:04 am, I.E.Broadbent wrote: > > On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 21:35 -0500, John Fleming wrote: >> I was playing with Wordpress stuff the last few days, and got my >> databases >> mucked up. Somehow ?? now, mysql won't start at all. Can someone >> help this >> newbie figure out what is wrong? I know it's difficult when I can't >> tell >> you exactly what was going on when it stopped working, but I don't >> know >> where to start with this. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, >> but that >> doesn't help. Anything simple to do to start from scratch with a >> fresh >> mysql?? Thanks! - John >> > > John, > if you try connecting to mysql using mysqlmanager (or one of the other > gui frontends) what error messages do you get? Something like > 'cannot > connect to socket (or sock) at xxxxxxxxxxxx address'? or perhaps, ' > access denied to user (name) using password (yes [or no])' ... ? > > It would help greatly to understand what mysql is trying to tell > you, ... ? > > If you've already reinstalled it all then it is likely that it must be > one of the two options above (either the path has become confused, or > your access rights have). > > I won't be able to take this further myself because I'm about to be > off-line for the next 3 days... but the answers would assist others. > > Ian > Thanks, Ian! I googled and tried several things that didn't help yesterday. Then I ran apt-get update/upgrade and noticed there were updates for mysql-server and mysql-server-5.0. These upgraded OK without error messages, and afterwards, my mysql will run again! I have no idea what happened originally or exactly what was repaired with the upgrade, but I had a backup of my databases and now have everything back as before! Praise God! - John