Re: Hardware howto - do you need a (very) little help?

Hello Steven,

I CC this to the debian-user mailing list, because sooner or later,
I'd like to get the people there involved, for the long term benefit
of the Debian (and Linux) community.

On Sunday 25 November 2007 00:34, you wrote:
> Well, "actively" is a stretch now.  I think I stopped "actively"
> maintaining it around 4 years ago, but I still try to make sure it
> isn't *wrong* as much as I can.

I saw the last update was made earlier this year.

> > If so, can you send me the raw docbook package. I might propose a
> > patch against the sections I have been inquiring about (mother
> > board and chipset support).
>
> At the moment, your best bet would be just to grab the source in
> the LDP CVS:

Yes, I had figured that out and did so already.

> > I think that HOWTOs are not adapted to the 21st century web :)
> > This particular howto should include information that is too
> > dynamic for a single person to keep up to date.
>
> I totally agree.  That's why parts of the HOWTO are actually
> generated from reliable sources (for example, all the printer
> information is pulled from the linuxprinting.org database).
>
> > I think the HOWTO should be a wiki that users could update more
> > easily. Thus there would me much more contributors.
>
> As much as I like wikis, I'm afraid that may leave too much room
> for human error.  Personally, I prefer the idea of pulling
> information from smolt (http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/) and
> similar sources, but I haven't figured out exactly how to go about
> doing that yet.

I didn't know smolt (I'm a Mandriva/Debian user). I hope the project
picks up.

I subscribed to the tldp discussion mailing list. I am going to make a
concrete proposal about the howtos.
I am not going to contribute to them unless we find a way to make them
more relevant by increasing user contributions.
My goal is to divert some energy from mailing lists and forums into a
more authoritative, collaborative document (wether a wiki, a howto or
something else):
http://www.wechange.org/node/47

I'll write in a few days to the tldp mailing list. I'll copy you if
you're not subscribed.

Thanks for your reply,

Augustin.

--