Re: [OT] LaTeX

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 13:42 -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> So far I've used the latex <file> command to compile a .dvi file for
> viewing; What's the best way to process a .tex file into a .pdf?

I typically run the commands

dvips file.dvi -o
ps2pdf file.ps

once the dvi file has been created. The first command creates a file
with name file.ps, ie the same first part but with the .ps extension.
The second creates another file with the same name but the .pdf
extension. The dvips command is part of the texlive install and the
ps2pdf command is part of a ghostscript install. The commands can be run
inside emacs or in a terminal. Perhaps system commands can also be run
within vim (I don't use vim). I only bother with the pdf when I want to
make it available to others that don't know all this, otherwise I view
the .ps file to see the finished product.

HTH, Bob

--
Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
Concordia University College of Alberta,