Re: [OT] LaTeX

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 11:12 -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> I'd like to begin writing my coursework for college in LaTeX, but I've
> no clue where to start. I began by installing the vim-latexsuite
> package, but that didn't seem to really work too well (The help pages
> are both missing), and I have no clue where to start to learn LaTeX.
>
> Any point in the right direction would really help!
>
> Also, for the Debian related question; What package would people out
> there recommend for compiling and viewing LaTeX?

Hi Michael, how much do you know about LaTeX so far?

Installing texlive typically gives you what you need for compiling.
Depending on the content of your work you may find xdvi sufficient for
displaying the finished result. When I have documents with graphs, xdvi
does not always handle the result properly and so often use dvips to
create a ps file that can be view with any postscript viewer.

I typically write LaTeX in a text file using emacs. Have a .emacs file
and have auctex installed allows helpful automatic colouring of text so
commands show up separately to regular text, etc.

http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html

HTH, Bob
--
Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
Concordia University College of Alberta,