Re: Cannot mount root file system with vanilla kernel 2.6.24-rc3

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
In article <9t91e-6qh-3@gated-at.bofh.it>, Micha Feigin wrote:
> I'm trying to compile vanilla kernel 2.6.24-rc3 due to some patches I need.
>
> When I try to boot the new kernel I get the error:
>
> vfs: Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
> please append a correct "root=" boot option. Here are the available devices:
> [...]
> [...] sda3
> [...]
>
> Kernel 2.6.23.1 boots with the same option and nearly the same config file
> I did compile it with gcc 4.3 (which didn't work for me for kernel 2.6.23.8)
> but it gave no error (when I fixed 2.6.23.8 to compile with gcc 4.3 it did give
> me  similar error though)

Udev is playing tricks on you.  The kernel you compliled recognizes
things in a different order, and udev gives them different names.
Use e2label to give your root file system a volume label, e.g., root-fs.
Edit your /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst files.  Replace
"/dev/sda3" with "LABEL=root-fs"
Make a new initrd image with the new /etc/fstab in it.
Let us know if that solves the problem.

Cameron