Re: Configuring server with a virtual package

Alex Samad wrote :
I have had a go a building some packages before, but it has been a while, all i do know is make changes to the code and run make mk-debs, forgotton the magic behind there.

How do you get around the config file problem, for instance I want have a package to setup my ldap server, I would like to just go apt-get install <servername>.ldap and have it bring in the depend packages like slapd, but at the end of the slapd install to actually over write the slapd.conf and other files. Do I mark this up as a Replaces action or do i do it via the install scripts ? The later seems easier and I get a chance to make backup of the files
Why don't simply use dpkg to extract to the package, replace the conf files with yours, and then rebuild your own with ?