Re: configuring ADSL via a gui

Chris G wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:36:27AM -0500, H.S. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Since I started using Debian, I have always used pppoeconf command to
>> set up my ADSL connection. Now I am a situation trying to convince a few
>> others that Linux based OS is very easy to use. So, is how do I go about
>> configuring an ADSL connection via gui? Does network-manager support it?
>> And can it be done on both Testing and Unstable?
>>
> Surely nearly all routers (and who uses anything except a router
> nowadays?) have web configuration so they don't care what OS you're
> using.  Just pointer your browser at the router and set it up!  :-)

That is if you want it (modem/router) to work in PPPoe mode. For bridge
mode, you still have to do the configuration on your computer. Bridge
mode reduces hassles of forwarding various ports in the router/modem, BTW.

In my case though, I use my modem in bridge mode and use a Debian
Testing based old machine as a router. Heck of a lot of freedom I have
with iptables than with the limited options in the router's firewall.