Re: CLI Addressbook

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:24:22 -0500
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 01:14:13AM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > > I always used postgresql and just did standard SQL queries, until I
> > > wrote a python front-end.
> > >
> > > Good way to learn SQL?
> > >
> > > Before that, I just used a plain-text file.  Each record is a
> > > paragraph, separated by blank lines.  Use standard / to search in
> > > less or vim.
> > >
> > > I suppose the best tool depends on the number of contacts and the
> > > type of queries you wan to make.
> >
> > That is actually a good idea. I love python and this could be a very
> > interesting small project. So you built a GUI using PyGTK or something
> > like that?
>
> No.  plain standard readline.  Could use ncurses.  I don't do GUI.
> Note that the python part was just a front-end to the postgresql
> database.  I didn't have to worry about storing and retreiving any data.

Interesting. I am sorry if this question sounds dumb but how did you patch everything together? So you have C program that uses the readline library and a python front-end for the sql database? If so, in your C program you simply call out the python script whenever you need to make a connection/read/write to the database?

Thanks.

Amit