Re: no x version

On Nov 21, 2007 7:12 AM, joseph lockhart <jwl_andlovesaidno@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

> i already use nothing but aptitude for package
> managment so that is not an issue, and i will try to
> remember to install doc packages.
>
> one other question (knowing that i can read about
> packages at www.debian.org) which commandline/terminal
> apps are the best in their various areas?

I use the following:
vifm - a vi inspired midnight commander replacement.
vim - text editing/viewing (PAGER=vim)
fbi  - image viewing
elinks - web
wget - downloading
wcalc - calculator
transmission - bittorrent

I haven't moved from Amarok for music, but I am looking
at moc (music on console) and the xmms2 CLI front-end.
cdcd, cdtools and workbone are CLI cd players. Doug, is
cdtools the package with the cdplay you mentioned?

For IRC/Instant Messaging there are a number of options.

Cabber - Jabber
CenterIM/CenterICQ - multi-protocol IM
tmsnc - MSN
bitlbee - all IM to irc gateway, use with any IRC client
irssi now has plugins for xmpp (jabber) and icq

irc: irssi, ircii, epic4, scrollz, sirc, tinyirc

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers