Re: no x version

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 07:12:04AM -0800, joseph lockhart wrote:

> one other question (knowing that i can read about
> packages at www.debian.org) which commandline/terminal
> apps are the best in their various areas?

My optinion only:

vim for editing most things
nano-tiny for editing if /usr gets hosed
ed for editing when things go really bad
latex to generate documents
mc for file management, browsing tarballs and debs, ftp, sftp, etc.
lynx for most html,
links2 for html with javascript
python for general scripting and math
Ada (gnat) for compiled programs
minicom for talking to the modem
mutt for mail (with exim4 as MTA)
vlock for locking all VTs
bwm for watching file transfers and connections
ppp and pppconfig
wget
rsync
fmt, enscript, a2ps
lpd + apsfilter
remind for reminders and alarms
linux cookbook for lots of CLI recipies
postgresql for database
cdplay to play cds

Note that the _only_ things for which I use X are:

graphic web browsing
reading pdf files
previewing ps files prior to printing
drawing with xfig
watching DVDs (and playing audio cds usualy), using VLC.
viewing photos.

Note that alla the CLI stuff I can do quite well on my 486 (Debian no
longer since Etch is slow slow on it; OpenBSD is great).

Doug.