Moving email files from an old Evolution to a new Version

I've replaced my old clunker P3 machine running Mandrake10 with a new
shiny box with AMD64 dualcore with Debian.
My mail records on the old machine run to almost half a gig and span
more than 40 local directories under the inbox and go back quite a few
years.
I presumed that the 'import' routine on Evolution would be able to
import the files for storage and use on the new box.... but it appears
that Evolution will only import from 'other' programmes and not from
it's own older versions.

I have read some similar responses which say that you need to manually
recreate every directory and hand copy the emails.   Surely not?

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Many thanks, Ian