Re: Debian Etch on OLPC Laptop

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 12:10:45PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> The OLPC laptop can now be purchased in the U.S. and Canada for $399 (you are actually buying two laptops and one goes to a child in a developing country). Anyways I was considering this but I am not a big fan of the Sugar interface.
>
> I wanted to simply remove everything, install debian etch and then run a lightweight window manager like Enlightenment DR17 or DWM.
>
> I understand that OLPC does not have a CDROM drive but I am sure Debian can be installed in other ways.
>
> Next, will Debian Etch detect the hardware right away? It looks like the OLPC has quite a few custom components built in.
>

> What are your thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Amit
Maybe consider buying the EeePc laptop and make a donation to the XO
fund? This way you get a more standard laptop that supports linux and
help the XO fund?
But I'm sure someone will work on XO/Linux, so maybe ask on an XO list?
-K
ps. I'm testing Sugar on my Ubuntu PC, it runs in a second Xephr window
(:1 display).
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|