Debian Etch on OLPC Laptop

Hey guys,

The OLPC laptop can now be purchased in the U.S. and Canada for $399 (you are actually buying two laptops and one goes to a child in a developing country). Anyways I was considering this but I am not a big fan of the Sugar interface.

I wanted to simply remove everything, install debian etch and then run a lightweight window manager like Enlightenment DR17 or DWM.

I understand that OLPC does not have a CDROM drive but I am sure Debian can be installed in other ways.

Next, will Debian Etch detect the hardware right away? It looks like the OLPC has quite a few custom components built in.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Amit