Re: [OT?] Replying to posts in debian-user

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 07:30:49PM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> This question has been nagging me every time I reply to some post. What
> is the recommended way to reply to any message?
>
> If I use "reply-to-all", icedove adds the original sender in the "To:"
> field and the debian-user address in the "CC:" field. If I send it in
> this way, will the sender receive two posts? I never received multiple
> replies to any of my posts, so I think the list software probably
> doesn't send out multiple copies to the same recipient. Am I correct in
> assuming this?

No.  If you send to two recipeints: the list and a person, the list
can't un-send your message to the person.  You would have been sending
two.  Mutt has a 'list reply' which only sends to the list.  I don't
know about icedove.

> In case I was mistaken, my apologies to everyone who has been spammed by
> multiple mails from me :)
>
> Or should I delete the sender's address from the list? I should probably
> leave the sender's address as it is if they ask to be cc'd for not being
> on the list. What about the other cases?

Other cases:  the code of conduct for debian lists says to just send to
the list.

> I know this question is fairly elementary, but thought I'd better get my
> basics straight instead of continuing to annoy people with my ignorance.

Thanks.

Doug.