unusual network installation problem

I'm trying to install debian at work from a local mirror (we have no
external internat access), but I need to set my ethernet MAC address
just before the installer accesses the mirror to allow me through the
cisco switch between me and the mirror. It looks like the busybox
version of ifconfig doesn't honour the 'hw ether' switch. I get no
errors, it just doesn't work. Can anyone confirm this, and if so maybe
suggest a way around the problem?

Thanks for your time.

                          or over the web