Re: Is there a "quick" how-to or "getting started" for exim?

On Nov 16, 2007, at 3:14 PM, bobg.hahc@gmail.com wrote:
your description of a mail hub does sound like what I want...
I'll see if I can download the source dist of the exim pkg... & chk
into that.... that would be REALLY nice...

OK. I'll dig a little to see if I have copies of the config files from when I did this, but it was years ago, at a previous job, so I'm not optimistic...

I know somewhere out there there's a file that has a cookbook example of how to do exactly this, though, because I used one as a starting point.

It will involve using LDAP to verify the recipients, since you're using Exchange 5.5. This is actually a big improvement over how Exchange itself deals with mail -- it accepts all the mail, then generates a bounce message if the recipient is invalid. This is nasty because it often bounces forged spam to people who didn't send it. By having Exim verify the recipient before accepting the message you can avoid creating a new bounce message.